The Community Fund of Darien’s Student Groups
We offer opportunities for middle and high school students to get involved in local community service, philanthropy, community-building, and public health initiatives.
Darien High School
Youth Community Fund
The Youth Community Fund (YCF) brings together high school students to learn the value of philanthropy through volunteering and grant-making activities with local nonprofit organizations. To read a more detailed description of the YCF, please click here.
Darien High School
Youth Asset Team
The Youth Asset Team is a student-run branch of The Community Fund of Darien. Our mission is to address substance abuse and mental health by encouraging healthy choices and through community events targeting teens and adults in Darien.
The Youth Asset team meets bi-weekly to assist the efforts of the Thriving Youth Task Force, including:
- Planning and advertising prevention-related speakers and events
- Planning alcohol-alternative events for their peers
- Providing the teen perspective at Thriving Youth Task Force meetings
- Speaking to PTOs about school transitions and risky behaviors
- Visiting 8th-grade students to share thoughts about the transition to high school
- Mentoring Youth Give Back (Middle School) Students
Each Spring, we send Youth Asset Team applications to students who would like to apply to be part of this group for the following school year. If you would like to receive an application or are interested in learning more about the Youth Asset Team, please send an email request to Emily Larkin at the Community Fund of Darien using the link below.
Youth Give Back
The Community Fund of Darien’s Thriving Youth Initiative offers a bi-weekly asset-building program for 7th and 8th grade students.
Youth Give Back team members will:
- Participate in local community service activities
- Learn how to build assets in their daily lives
- Lead asset-building and prevention initiatives at Middlesex Middle School
- Build relationships with High School Youth Asset Team mentor
Youth Give Back students cooked and served meals at local homeless shelters, visited with Seniors at Atria, read to children at Children’s Learning Centers and worked on the grounds at the Darien Nature Center. Each June we hold an info session at MMS to introduce rising 7th and 8th graders to this group. Applications are distributed at the info session and are also available in Mr. Powers’ office in Guidance. If you would like to receive an application or are interested in learning more about the Youth Give Back group, please send an email request to Emily Larkin at the Community Fund of Darien using the link below.
What Our Student Volunteers Say
I loved being part of Youth Give Back this year. I had so much fun helping others. My favorite visit was caroling for seniors at Atria.Patrick Thurlow
My favorite visit this year was Building One Community. We had a really good group this year who were passionate and willing to learn more about philanthropy.Lauren Larizza